Gidday Peter

Seems to me that you are paying Internode for ADSL2 speeds and are getting ADSL1 speeds ... :( . Switch to Iinet or Telstra (Optus is incredibly flakey, and even more devious than Internode, IME ... ).

I have Cable 3.0 from Telstra, and my measured download speed is 110 Mbps. There isn't a site in the world that seems able to serve data at this speed, not even Microsoft's servers - they will for about 60 seconds Approx. the first 100 MB ... ), then the server throttles the port back to about 1/8 to 1/4 this speed :(.

My upload speed is about 2.6 Mbps, but this is throttled by the ISP.

However, I also experience slow down on ORS site on all of my computers (desktop, laptop and Blackberry) from time to time. The PC and laptop are both running XP Pro and mainly IE8 and Opera.

In the last two weeks, I have had the site give me two "Out of memory" errors. This is a web server error, not a local PC error message.

G'day Ratbag,

Internode is now owned by iinet, although they supposedly operate independent of each other. :surprised:

I cannot get full ADSL 2 where I am, I am 4.5 kms from the Telstra Exchange hence the Reach 60 plan, it is the best speed I can get for my area.

If iinet could offer me a faster speed for the same price as Internode I'd switch, although Internode have been good to me as drop outs are unheard of and I get to speak to an Aussie if & when I need assistance.

About time , Peter!

And fair enough too, mate.

A local friend was paying Optus for adsl2 and getting fast dial up speeds until he stuck it up them! Rogues ...

From my Batphone

I do not like iinet - here's my speed from home (supposed to be ADSL2!):
Mirror: iiNet
Data: 7 MB
Test Time: 10.01 secs
Your line speed is 6.11 Mbps (6114 kbps).
Your download speed is 764 KB/s (0.75 MB/s).

But still - this site runs ok

Running www.speedtest.net, my download speed as at today was 113.87 Mbps; upload was 2.44 Mbps; ping was 8 ms.

I don't know how you blokes got the cute graphics. Mine didn't do that. Could be my security blocking it ...

3489900112.png

Last edited:
Gidday Kevin

This is a copy of the error message I got just now:

"Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 82837504) (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /home/offroads/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 822"

Hope this helps.

Hey Kevin,

Somebody has done something or a miracle has been achieved, it now takes approx. 3 secs from the time I hit the link on my browser until the website is fully loaded.

Yehaaaaaw! :monkeydance:

Glad to hear that it's working better for you, Peter.

I haven't had any errors on the site lately either.
Accessing it from my phone is particularly noticeably better and faster.

Thanks Ratbag, I'm glad to be over that slow down garbage, I was about to pull the plug on the site several times it was bugging me that much.

I'm glad I hung in there for the long haul.

it has been slow to respond for me too for ages but suddenly this morning it is all running like it should (and used to). Don't know what happened.

Have been watching. Seems quite quick! Loads 'Who's Online' in less than a second; 'Today's Posts' in 2-3 seconds.

Any more problems at your end, Peter?

Have been watching. Seems quite quick! Loads 'Today's Posts' in 2-3 seconds.

Hi Ratbag,

Thanks for your reply.

Loaded the site tonight and saw your reply, closed my browser and re-opened it, hit my shortcut to Today's Posts (I use this all the time) and it took 8 seconds.

I have 7 x car forums I check each day (3 are overseas sites) plus Whirlpool and this one is the slowest by a mile just lately.

Yesterday I lost the Internet for maybe 5 -10 mins for some weird reason, neighbours had no problems, rebooted the modem and everything was back to normal, except here. :sad:

Just checked my NOD32 AV and Malwarebytes, nothing quarantined.

P.S. "Mark Forums Read" takes 7 seconds to respond as does everything else.

Load Time: 3.55107903481 seconds.

Load Time 3.533s Repeat View 2.553s

Load Time 7.05s

Some speed tests - seems to vary.

After a ddos attack slowed us down 17th Feb some work was done as we were then faster than 53% of all tested sites but now at times it does seem slow again. Will investigate.

Tested from Stockholm, Sweden on February 24 at 07:33:43
Page size 121.1kB Load time 3.63s Requests 27 Perf. grade 91/100
Your website is faster than 46% of all tested websites

Looks like we were under attack from China which I have stopped. Response should be faster now.

Had a few more issues this morning but seems OK now:
www.offroadsubarus.com

Tested from Dallas, Texas, USA on February 24 at 09:23:12
Page size 134.2kB Load time 2.49s Requests 27 Perf. grade 88/100
Your website is faster than 63% of all tested websites

Back