Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Gidday folks

The thread title says it all ... :(.

The central fingers and ball have parted company.

Any suggestion/s as to how to fix this? I'm all ears ...

I had a good look inside this morning as best I can. It appears that a number of parts to each side of the central fingers and ball socket are missing.

Looks as if someone has very forcibly moved the mirror with their hand or fist ... I may have go buy a complete new guts for it :(.

^ No. But it happened quite some time ago. SWMBO didn't mention it to me. I noticed it when in her car as a passenger about 4 weeks ago. Since then, it's been held in place with some duct tape. Useful stuff, duct tape ... :biggrin:.

Have just spent about an hour examining it via the gap between the loose mirror and the mirror fairing.

The mechanism is this:

1) there are two electro-mechanical actuators, one for up and down, the other for side to side (R/L). these are offset from centre so that they exert leverage around a central fulcrum;

2) the central fulcrum, consisting of compressible fingers on the fairing part that clip into a socket of the back of the mirror assembly itself, forming a ball and socket connection;

3) four open finger clips at top and bottom of the ball and socket joint, two each for up/down, R/L. These attach the mirror holder back to the fairing internals, and locate the ball and socket joint in place. There are four cylindrical bars on the mirror back that clip into four U-shaped clips on the internal mechanism that's screwed onto the inside of the external mirror fairing.

What had happened is that some forceful or rapid manual movement of the mirror had caused the finger clips described in (3) to come apart, which in turn allowed the ball and socket in (2) to come apart, thereby allowing the mirror and backing to flop around while still attached to the two actuating pistons described in (1).

After calculating what I reckoned was the correct position to line the mirror up with the internals, I exerted quite a bit of force in the centre of the mirror with the palm of my hand, pushing the ball and socket back together and clipping the cylindrical bars back into the U clip fingers.

Hallelujah Brothers (and Sisters ... ).
The mirror works once more ... :ebiggrin: :biggrin: :quitar: :bananapartyhat: :quitar: :bananapartyhat: :quitar: :bananapartyhat: :quitar:

A further 15 minutes cleaning the remains of the duct tape adhesive off everything, and not a penny needed to be spent! I had visions of having to buy a new mirror, and then having to rip the door apart to fit it ...

Thanks, Kevin.

As we all know, it is often these little things that can end up being a right proper PITA. Glad that this one was (relatively) easily fixed. Working out how to do it was the hardest part, by far.

Thanks, Ate.

You are absolutely right. The cost of minor parts like this can be exquisitely painful and quite shocking ...

Sometimes, these minor parts are simply not available as spares from the manufacturer.

Haha S2. Thanks.

More likely picked up from making computers and such like nasty things work properly for about 40 years. As SWMBO said to me yesterday as I wrestled with a printing oddity in MS Word "You never give up, do you.". Stating the bleeding obvious after 30+ years together ... ;). It's what my clients have always paid me for, I guess.

Back