Cruise control & towing

Scooby2

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Landcruiser
Transmission
Auto
Scooby2 is a 2000 manual Outback. I am getting conflicting information about using cruise control when towing. My manual says do not use driving up or down a steep grade, driving on slippery or winding roads or in heavy traffic.

This link to Subaru (for a Forester) also adds not when towing:

https://www.subarumanuals.org/subaru-2453.html

Does anybody know? Just want to be sure. 1100 Kms is a long drive to not use it.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge people may have.

Best regards,

Seems to me that those are all safety concerns, mate. That is to say: "Subaru is hereby covering our butt (etc)".

Patently obvious to me and almost everyone else that one would not set cruise control going downhill with a fully loaded trailer ... :shrug:

Last edited:
Don`t use in traffic.
I wouldn`t use when towing unless road is dead flat. I feel your fuel consumption will suffer if you use it in undulating country and certainly up hills.

I use it on known good roads an stretches of highway.
but more often than not you're anticipating gear changes, corners, hills, etc
especally here in Tassie

Thanks for your replies. The reason it is important to know for sure is the driver position change. This body is aggravated by long drives with the right foot out. Ironically nothing to do with my leg!

I only use it on straight flat stretches, but was interested to know because I would adjust accordingly if it was a definite no do.

Best regards,

I use cruise control in all conditions and never had an issue. If the vehicle is under too much load then either manually turn it off and drop back a gear or the cruise control will cut out automatically. Anything over a tonne I don't tow in 5th gear, anything less I do. I always use cruise, except for when towing a car on car trailer.. :iconwink:

Your issue is when you hit a hill, the cruise will give it more accel to keep it at the preset speed. It will go to wide open throttle if left alone on hills. You'll go through fuel like no tomorrow this way! And will probably labour your gearbox a bit.

Generally when towing = no cruise unless you are fine with extra consumption.

I have had my OB sideways on the gravel airstrips out on the nullabor with cruise on. So long as you can control the car, you can use cruise control :D

Thanks everyone. Fuel consumption was out the window anyway this trip. Least of my worries. Getting out the other end without the nerve from my neck to the eye having a conniption was why I was curious about cruise control and towing.

Best regards,

Fully loaded then. The wind resistance will hurt your power and economy the most. If you stick just under 100kmhr that'll help dramatically!
Good luck, let us know what kind of economy you achieve.

Too late Taza... Travelled Saturday just gone. I reckon she did about 400kms/tank. I didn't think that was bad given the load and use of cruise where it was safe.

Best regards,

Most of the 38,000km I done towing my camper trailer has been with the cruise on because there was no way I was going across the Nullarbor (should have named it bore for boring) and back or across the Top End and back with my foot stuck on the accelerator.

I've never had any problem with it other than picking up more speed than normal on a downhill run because of the extra weight. And with 380Nm of torque at the wheels the weight of the trailer has never been much of a challenge going up them either. I do wish it would hold cruise on even when changing gears like my Golf does though. That's a really neat trick I wish the Japanese would learn how to do.

Well guzzle, I completely understand the need for using it. Has transformed my life and am very thankful scooby2 being as old as she is came with a little creature comfort I have never before had the privilege to experience!

Best regards,

Bit late to the party but I have been told that Cruise control is fine when towing, as mentioned fuel efficiency will suffer a bit.

It also makes it double important to your CC off when it starts to get wet. CC should never be used in the wet.

Havachat, my manual says not to use cc in slippery conditions. Given the load and trailer behind and the wet road without cc on it felt like driving on ice. I believe it could have turned terrible very quick had I had it on. I don't think it is an old wives tale. This old wife prefers to stay safe on the road!

Best regards,

Personally I like to view CC as an additional bonus to be utilised when needed. I guess like S2 I like to be in control of my car, not the converse.
Plus these days my reflexes and reaction times are not as smart as they used to be.

Bit late to the party but I have been told that Cruise control is fine when towing, as mentioned fuel efficiency will suffer a bit.

It also makes it double important to your CC off when it starts to get wet. CC should never be used in the wet.

Yeah this one comes up every now and then but I have done a lot of cruising with cc in the wet and have never had a problem. My handbook doesn't say anything about it.

Back