Ratbag

Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Interesting copyright-free word document from the WA Police Force can be downloaded from here (hopefully):
https://canopuscomputing.com.au/gal...2_GALLERYSID=a61d709bee1db893e3b68e81197db357

I haven't read it yet, but seems to contain valuable information.

I will convert this to a tagged PDF file and re-publish at some stage.

Here it is in PDF format https://canopuscomputing.com.au/galle...b68e81197db357

NB: I have just discovered that the WA Police have published an updated edition of this document in PDF format; available here:

www.police.wa.gov.au/Portals/11/PDFs/AidsToSurival_2007.pdf

I intend to approach them for the Word version of this document so that I can convert it into a more useful and usable A5 booklet that will fit in a glove box. Wish me luck ... :iconwink:.

Last edited:
Yeah, looks good doesn't it?

I have converted it to PDF, and then noticed that it is missing page numbers ...

Will re-convert after adding them.

Shows just how easy it is to overlook something very vital! A lesson to us all.

This kind of information is fundamental to the pursuit that most here are actively engaged in.

When I have, it might be a good idea to post it in a new thread.
Make it a "sticky", perhaps?
What do you think?

It sure does :)

What do you think?
You read my thoughts :) as I was thinking the exact same thing :iconwink:
Just let us know when you've finished converting it & I'll do just that :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have converted it to PDF, and then noticed that it is missing page numbers ...

Will re-convert after adding them.

Shows just how easy it is to overlook something very vital! A lesson to us all.

This kind of information is fundamental to the pursuit that most here are actively engaged in.

What do you think?

Make it sticky? Perhaps a poor choice of words for drinking water lol :raspberry:

I cant read the WA Police Force article :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do, mate

Probably sometime tomorrow.

It's just hit 40° here!

I am flitting from A/C to A/C.
Methinks another swim is in order. Even the bloody pool is around 30°C last time I checked!

I don't like the heat much. With an artificial heart valve, one's homeostatic mechanisms get all screwed up even at the best of times ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis ). When very hot or very cold, x 2! And that's by no means the full extent of my medical problems.

But hey, I'm still here: So a big thank you to modern medicine and my hospital and medicos :).

G'day again NL

Can I add urinate on the foliage (NOT in the container!) :huh: It might sound a bit gross but will have no effect on the water quality in the container but will add to the volume. Or you can use bog water or river water if undrinkable. If in really dire straits, this method can be used to distill coolant. Basically anything with water in it! :iconwink:

Yup, missed that bit out, thanks.

Also I would say if you seal all around the plastic sheet it will seal in the moisture & prevent evaporation, increasing yield. Best way is to use sand or soil.

Ditto. Thanks again.

Make it sticky? Perhaps a poor choice of words for drinking water lol :raspberry:

LOL!

I cant read the WA Police Force article :(

Can you download it OK?
It is in Word format.
I will upload a PDF copy tomorrow.

WA Police Survival Guide in PDF format

Gidday Folks

Here it is, the WA Police Survival Guide in PDF format with a couple of minor formatting errors corrected and converted to Adobe PDF format.

https://canopuscomputing.com.au/gal...2_GALLERYSID=a61d709bee1db893e3b68e81197db357

Please send me a pm if you cannot download this file, or read it.

It is copyright free, so feel free to redistribute it.
It could save your own life, or that of a total stranger ...

Hope this is useful to people here. I have had a fairly quick browse through it, and it seems positively jam-packed with useful, practical information.

Woohoo it worked!

There's some very useful info there, may take a while to read it though lol ;)

It's just hit 40° here!

I am flitting from A/C to A/C.
Methinks another swim is in order. Even the bloody pool is around 30°C last time I checked!

I don't like the heat much. With an artificial heart valve, one's homeostatic mechanisms get all screwed up even at the best of times ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis ). When very hot or very cold, x 2! And that's by no means the full extent of my medical problems.

But hey, I'm still here: So a big thank you to modern medicine and my hospital and medicos :).

Glad to hear it mate. Its amazing the advances medicine has made in the last few decades & I have no doubt the future will leave us astonished :biggrin:

See newer version in original post

Woohoo it worked!

There's some very useful info there, may take a while to read it though lol ;)

Glad to hear it mate. Its amazing the advances medicine has made in the last few decades & I have no doubt the future will leave us astonished :biggrin:

Excellent find!

Thanks fellas.

See newer 2007 version from the WA Police in my original post.

Great work Ratbag, give ya'self a big pat on the back.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

P.S. Just realised it is 4 going on 5 years old, maybe somebody should drop them a line and ask for an updated version.

:poke: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Gidday subyroo

Great work Ratbag, give ya'self a big pat on the back.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thank you, Kind Sir.

I have emailed the WA Police and asked them for a copy of this in Word format so that I can re-format it to A5 size and double-sided. Then re-convert back to PDF.
I have also offered to send these back to them once completed.

An A5 booklet could live happily in one's glove box where it is likely to be of most use in an emergency ...

P.S. Just realised it is 4 going on 5 years old, maybe somebody should drop them a line and ask for an updated version.

:poke: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This is the latest version.
It is very wide-ranging and thorough from what I have read of it so far.

Gidday Barry

An interesting case in todays Age. https://www.theage.com.au/victoria/...f-long-hot-walk-to-safety-20120105-1plut.html
Travelling solo in an inappropriate vehicle, with no advice to family / friends of the route and ETA can put people in dire circumstances quickly.
At least she had a GPS and some water and followed a road, so not walking in circles.
All in all she was very lucky.

Yes it was good that she had basic survival gear.

She was very lucky.

AND a complete bloody fool ...

Worse still, the media are making out that she was some kind of terrific survivor, when they should be telling people how stupid she was, and how easily she could have died out there. What else would one expect from the media ...

Love the bit about "14.4 tonne trucks". Even a Suzuki Vitara or similar miniature truck based vehicle would be far better than that lumbering hulk she was driving. Let alone the track she was driving it on ...

It's interesting to see a lot of the survival advice has been extracted from Richard Grave's bushcraft books, even the illustrations are a direct copy. I first read his series back in the 70's, and I still have the original 10 books.

He was formerly a Commanding Officer of the Australian Jungle Survival & Rescue Detachment on active service with the USAAF, and the books were originally written as wartime information for conducting rescue missions, the notes were later revised and prepared for a School of Bushcraft which was conducted for nearly 20 years.

The detachment of 60 specially selected AIF soldiers successfully carried out more than 300 rescue missions, most of which were in enemy-held territory, without failure of a mission or loss of a man.

Reading his books provided great inspiration for me, and probably contributed to my eventually enlisting and being selected for service in 1 Commando Regiment, Aust Special Forces. Sadly, Graves passed away 40 years ago, but it's good to see his knowledge is still being passed on.

I have emailed the WA Police and asked them for a copy of this in Word format so that I can re-format it to A5 size and double-sided. Then re-convert back to PDF.
I have also offered to send these back to them once completed.

An A5 booklet could live happily in one's glove box where it is likely to be of most use in an emergency ...

That would be a great idea! Would also make good reading after setting up camp, may even provide an incentive to practise lol :biggrin:

Could you please post the '07 version on this thread? Also be sure to post the pocket book version as well when its done.

Yes it was good that she had basic survival gear.

She was very lucky.

AND a complete bloody fool ...

Worse still, the media are making out that she was some kind of terrific survivor, when they should be telling people how stupid she was, and how easily she could have died out there. What else would one expect from the media ...

Love the bit about "14.4 tonne trucks". Even a Suzuki Vitara or similar miniature truck based vehicle would be far better than that lumbering hulk she was driving. Let alone the track she was driving it on ...

Cant get over how funny she thought it was! She obviously has no idea she almost died!!! :shake:

What a ridiculous vehicle to be driving somewhere like that. Having just driven tracks like that in Wyperfeld NP (see Robe/ Wyperfeld trip report) I can vouch that it can be very soft. There was even 1 track that said "wet weather only"!

& in the end she still couldnt accept responsibility for HER actions, blaming it on not enough signs! What happened to common sense?

That would be a great idea! Would also make good reading after setting up camp, may even provide an incentive to practise lol :biggrin:

From the amendment of my OP:

NB: I have just discovered that the WA Police have published an updated edition of this document in PDF format; available here:

www.police.wa.gov.au/Portals/11/PDFs/AidsToSurival_2007.pdf

Could you please post the '07 version on this thread? Also be sure to post the pocket book version as well when its done.

Cant get over how funny she thought it was! She obviously has no idea she almost died!!! :shake:

What a ridiculous vehicle to be driving somewhere like that. Having just driven tracks like that in Wyperfeld NP (see Robe/ Wyperfeld trip report) I can vouch that it can be very soft. There was even 1 track that said "wet weather only"!

& in the end she still couldnt accept responsibility for HER actions, blaming it on not enough signs! What happened to common sense?

We just saw a van like hers at Rickett's Point that has continuous AWD (different brand) ...
Shame they are only available in the 14.4 tonne version here ... :rotfl:

Her silly adventure comes at a good time to reinforce the safety message with younger or less experienced people on forums like this.

Have all the fun you like when you have a whole swag of people around with snatch ropes and winches to get you out of trouble, but use this as a learning 'sandbox'.

When on your own, always proceed with extreme caution. You are not gutless if you turn back; you are being wise. There are no medals for becoming a corpse ...

Back