Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
Went and had a look at an MY05 Imprezza today, pretty clean looking thing but it's got an intermittent knocking/tapping/clatter noise that's pretty loud.

Idles fine, seems to be more prevalent when in motion, but is there when stationary and revving

Any suggestions? doesn't sound like tappets,more of a lower tone than I'm used to with tappets, plus it is intermittent. Possibly a timing issue? rod knock?

It's pretty cheap so was thinking of buying it, but it's unregistered so would have to get the noise fixed before registering it.

Apart from that, it seems pretty clean, good interior some minor dings and a couple of bulbs need replacing one driving light (if you can call them that) and a brake light, no oil leaks that I could see, has done about 260k, dunno if the engine has had any work done. the lack of oil leaks is surprising!

could pick it up for under $1K.

Last edited:
Oooh! double thread!

How on earth did I do that?
[MENTION=114]Kevin[/MENTION] could you please delete the other one, Ta.

Might be the tensioner, but at this distance it’s hard to tell. Could be anything

Was thinking maybe the tensioner. been youtubing about it, not easy to check without pulling it apart.

I should save the money and put it into the SVX, but was looking for a cheapy for my niece to run around in while she and her boyfriend are over from the UK, then pass it on to my lad.

Back