Auto trans computer

RabbidRabbit

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Legacy
Transmission
Auto
I'm having an issue and need some advice about CELs. I pertty much run on a CEL for the transmission, P1720.1722? I am about to come up on testing and usually can get it to pass. I was running an evap cel but I thought I got it fixed. I put the reader on my car and pulled 22 codes. I can't remember them all but here is a list of what I can remember, evap, trans( PRND something, vss, shift, something about gearing), Knock sensor. What the heck is going on with my car? I have sanded all the grounds in the engine bay and even added a 4g from the trans to body. Car is a 97 Legacy sedan auto. I really need help if I can't get it right then I will have to scrap it and I really don't want to.

I have tried to figure the P1722 code for a few years and haven't had any luck figuring it out. All I have is a generic OBDII scanner.

I have a ECU and TCM from a 98 EJ25 should I swap just to see what happens?

The ECU also has the immobiliser I believe, so if you swap it you'll also need the key. You could try swapping the TCU but it may not be faulty. 22 codes is a lot but many of them will overlap. Ie, 3 or 4 codes caused by the one fault. Try it to see what happens.

Also try cleaning the contacts in the connectors, they may be dirty or rusted.

You will also probably need to replace some of the sensors, esp the knock sensor & O2 sensor. A 97 is pretty old & many parts need regular maintenance

Agree with NL. However, I would recommend taking it to a good workshop that has a mechanic who understands cars ... Get them to diagnose your car's faults with their workshop analyser.

Complex/combined issues that you are apparently having require both the proper equipment and a competent diagnostician.

I have the wire harness from the 98. I plan on putting it in a Beetle one day.

I did find the EGR tube broken but it never threw a EGR code.

Back