• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

VTD vs MPT

I agree with Pezimm. If you actually use your car offroad, VTD absolutely transforms the car coming from a MPT setup. The difference is huge.

A VLSD works by getting hot. If you keep the boot into it you will feel the rear lock up and propel you forward.

How long are we talking here? I've many times been stuck because of cross-axle wheelspin and tried getting out with 3000+ rpm on the clock in first for a good 5 seconds or so, trying to get the rear viscous coupling to heat-up, but it still offered no resistance. Aside from the VC, I'm not sure how much sustained treatment of this type the diffs themselves and oil will tolerate, but if the rear VC would eventually hook-up that would be nice.

Yes, you are correct! The only XTs that had VDC available as an option were the top of the range XT Luxury with the 4EAT transmission. Still, it was only fitted as a package with the OEM navigation unit. The VDC is an add-on feature of the VTD centre differential.

My car is a 2007 SG2 XT Auto (4EAT) with the OEM navigation. But mine's not a LUXURY, so I don't get the VDC, only the VTD centre diff as opposed to the MPT standard on other 4EATs. This was the case with all 2007 XT autos.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation (I wasn't sure I hadn't dreamed it up :iconwink:) on the VDC/navigation pack and other details Pedro. I didn't know the SG2 XT autos had VTD too - very nice!

my experience is with a VTD center and an early 90's rear VLSD from a GT legacy. If I sunk the boot in spinning a rear wheel i could feel the other wheel start doing its thing after a few seconds tops.

With a viscous center this may not happen. Also the old rear diffs may have been quite different to the current models.

Out of interest, I will quote my sources:

The MY07 brochure and specifications can be found here.

And the explanation of the MPT vs VTD centre differentials, as well as VDC is here.

Both documents are interesting reads on a range of topics. They are not my finds, I collected them from other posts on the forum.

Pedro.

Hey, hey, hey, that is the best official brochure on the subject I have seen to date! Thanks!

:rock:

Back