OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Notices

User Tag List

Old 28th April 2017, 03:18 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: Custom hybrid D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, R180, Front LSD, 4.44, 0.738 5th Gear
Rally is on a distinguished road

It was meant as a rhetorical question, but interesting what you say. I was not aware that they closed off streets for marches in every town and city as we do, but good on them for doing so. Do they also have memorials in every town and the suburbs that were around at the time as well? Where I used to live, there was a memorial near the shopping centre. Where I live now, in a new suburb, there isn't one obviously so the message is not as great in these areas.

In Milperra, a number of streets are named after towns where the Australians fought on the Western Front in The Great War, such as Pozieres, Bullecourt etc. Of course, there a number of ANZAC Avenues. i wonder though how many Sydney Siders know who General Holmes was, which General Holmes Drive was named after?

The tragedies and incredible victories of the Australians in the Great War are sadly not well enough appreciated. For example, 5 Australian divisions during the war defeated 39 German divisions. General Monash commanded US troops, and in fact Australian troops played a major part in training US troops on how to fight a modern war. See below the letter from US General to General Monash

In the next war, it was the Australians who were the first to defeat in a major battle the Germans, and the first to defeat the Japanese Army as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyroo View Post
The USA do, they have a greater respect for the soldiers than we do. Some people say their Honour Guards and ceremonies are over the top.

Read the link below on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in America.

http://tombguard.org/tomb-of-the-unk...he-tomb-guard/