• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

HotBits coilovers

Yh smart driver can allways find other ways lines to go with its car capabilitys.

[MENTION=4168]Dedman[/MENTION], your PM box is full....

Front - Coilovers that compress to 385mm (OEM shocks compressed length) and extend to 568mm (OEM shocks extended + 2inch lift blocks) = 183mm stroke
Rear - Coilovers that compress to 448mm (OEM shocks compressed length) and extend to 672mm (OEM shocks extended + 2inch lift blocks) = 224mm stroke

Red, how were these measurements of the original shocks taken? Like this or something else?
29635120478_d9d196ecae_z.jpg

I have asked hotbits for stock length + 125mm and they lengths they have come back with are quite a bit longer that your measurements (taking into account the extra 75mm I asked for)...

I would have got those figures somewhere of the internet and not measured myself, so I'm not really sure how they were taken or if they were even accurate as I was still learning at that stage. A bit changed since that post, so I might have to go back and edit old posts...

I ended up buying 210mm stroke front and 300mm stroke rear as you would see in later posts. Toh/Hotbits figures matched my oem shocks perfectly when I pulled them out, so I would recommend going with those figures. I do remember being surprised at how much shorter the official figures from brands including KYB were from oem.

Dedman, you want to install a 3" body lift by the lengths you are giving !

Jeremiah22 sorted out the figures you need as he has already done it.

Get maximum stroke possible whatever the length you go for, it is easy to shorten the stroke with internal shims (nylon shims or tube)

Did you get my pm ?

Dedman, you want to install a 3" body lift by the lengths you are giving !

Planning on a 2" body lift with 4.5 inch over standard front struts and 5 inch over standard rear struts. I have been told 2.5 on the front of an SG is workable.

Jeremiah22 sorted out the figures you need as he has already done it.

Jeremiah22 has the figures for the SF. I think it will be different for a gen2 SG (which I have now).

Did you get my pm ?
Sure did, thanks mate. Just haven't got around to replying yet.

I would have got those figures somewhere of the internet and not measured myself, so I'm not really sure how they were taken or if they were even accurate

Good to hear. I am going to pull mine on the weekend and measure the lengths. I want to be certain before spending the large amount of $$$

I pulled the SG struts and measured them.

Front
Extended: 555mm
Compressed: 390mm
Travel: 165mm

Rear
Extended: 642mm
Compressed: 422mm
Travel: 220mm

So for my hotbits I am after
Front extended length: 670mm
Rear extended length: 770mm

All the above measurements were taken like this:
29635120478_d9d196ecae_z.jpg

Re-read the HotBits thread and remembered I wrote this about the lengths, oem front struts

SG5 ('03-'05) center of lowest bolt to top of thread is 600mm, or to first step is 562mm. Shaft stroke 185mm. Center of lowest bolt to spring perch 225mm, spring perch 2mm, spring perch to end of housing 150mm.

Would be interesting to know why there is such a difference...

So my hotbits have arrived today and so far everything is going to plan. They appear to be made to the specs I asked for and look to be well made.

However, I am struggling to understand the requirement to modify the rear top hats to achieve more travel. In my mind modifications will not result in any extra travel.
Yes ! But you will also have to custom build a rear upper spring seat like shown on this picture :

attachment.php

Since this picture, the sides have been cut smaller, 1cm high from the inside because of the barrel type Eibach springs

Hotbits claim their bump stops will compress from 60mm to 30mm.

When I put the hotbits tophat all the way down with the bump stop in place and then without the bumpstop the change in position is 34mm so theoretically the bumpstop will reach maximum deigned compression before the hotbits tophat will bottom out. All the hotbits tophat will do is offset the spring ~40mm lower but I do not see that as a problem? Am I missing something?

43046877050_f84d54f2ef_z.jpg

43046866090_5026aef67f_z.jpg

Some of the shaft length is wasted in the oem tophat. Goal is to have the bump stop as high up on the shaft as possible so that the shaft can compress more before bottoming out bumpstop. The oem tophat still wastes some shaft length either way. I couldn't see a way of getting back that much more shaft length without buying slimmer tophats.

Also, your tophats look different to mine. Maybe they updated the design. Is the silver thing part of it?

Some of the shaft length is wasted in the oem tophat. Goal is to have the bump stop as high up on the shaft as possible so that the shaft can compress more before bottoming out bumpstop. The oem tophat still wastes some shaft length either way. I couldn't see a way of getting back that much more shaft length without buying slimmer tophats.

Yeah I get that about 20mm of the shaft is lost in the top hat. But apart from the maybe 5mm of thickness of the hotbit top spring seat the bump stop is pretty much as high as it can go on the shaft when using the hotbits gear.

Also, your tophats look different to mine. Maybe they updated the design. Is the silver thing part of it?

I think the silver thing is an adaptor to make the tophat fit the Ebiach springs better. They asked me what springs I was going to be running during the order process. It is a very good fit on the springs.

I did notice the top adjustment shafts on mine are a lot shorter than yours. They only stick out of the thread about 10-15mm which is going to put the knobs in an interesting position when the tophats are in place.

Seems on the picture that HotBits changed the design of the upper spring perch. How does the upper spring perch assemble to the Subaru top hat ?

Because I'm more of a crawler, I've cut half of the bumpstops off to gain a bit of up travel.

That looks like it's designed perfectly to go there. No modifications required, unless I'm missing something??

That is my thought exactly. Will be interested to hear JF1SF5s comments as he saw a need for the modification. Maybe Hotbits have changed their design to address the issues he identified.

[MENTION=4168]Dedman[/MENTION], you are using an SF rear top hat and it looks like it fits perfectly. I can't remember why I went the SG path though. The other difference is you have the spring seat flange on the inner diameter of the spring.

The only concern is when on full compression, will the flange, because it is fixed and the shaft/shock is slightly moving, come in contact with the shock housing ?

I didn't even consider the SGs would be different. I will sus out which work best when I remove the struts from my SG. My SF ones are a bit shagged so I am hesitant to use them.

I don't think the alignments will be a huge issue on full compression although I am not certain how much lateral movement will be in the rubber bush. Might have to investigate further.

Back