E-locker a Reality.

I took the car out to see how the locker worked. Only in my own street, and yes, it does work. Takes a bit longer to engage than I expected, but it works and that's the main thing. Further, more extensive testing in actual off road conditions is planned, but not sure when

We think we have fixed the rear locker, but there have been some problems within the centre diff. I am waiting for the controller which is currently on its way back from Canada. It looks like there is a problem with the diff itself. Whether it's the wiring inside the diff, or the coil windings, we won't know till we take the box out. In addition to that, a fault with one of the switches means that also has to be replaced. A replacement has been ordered and is being dispatched. I find it frustrating as that switch is a genuine Subaru part and isn't that old. Thanks for your interest

Yep, open the box and see...

Could it also be some worn plates ? Hope not, its an expensive fix.

in theory would there be possibility that e locker could snap your cv axles if you stuck pretty bad and you using locker but wheel just too much stuck so as it tries to spin axle snaps. ?

It sure is possible but I remember that Rally has some rear STI axles. Next weak point is the gearbox, especially the low range gears.

A locker is the least likely to snap an axle, the most likely is an open diff. When you lift a wheel with an open diff, the wheel spins freely as you apply throttle. When it comes back down on the ground & suddenly stops spinning, that's when they snap. That's why I like to drive through the brakes when I'm lifting wheels. A locker has the most control.

Rally, hope you get these niggles sorted

I agree NachaLuva but Scalman was talking about stuck wheels.

If the wheels are just stuck, it won't be an issue. The problem is with spinning wheels in the air. It will be the same as driving forward on a road

Traction control has the control as its controls spins. Lockers do nothing else they just lock and if you push too hard locker will snap weakest part that will be in its way.
But locker is option for open diffs . open diffs are worse offroad.
There are many things where lockers help like with open wheel on one side or even worse 2 wheels in air.
But then price for everything comes to mind that maybe better just buy newer car with capability allready and enjoy it.

If one side wheel is properly stuck in mud deep. What traction control will do is try to spin it if its possible. If its too hard it will try to spin other wheels.
What locker do here is just spin it with force no matter what. And weakest point will brake. So many times in offroad videos serious 4wd cars looses axles because using lockers . im watching those all times and i see whats happening . they where not made for lockers but people put lockers and they drive home with just 2wd or not drive at all . they brake axles even on rocks.
Thats why im seeing videos how land cruiser prado stock with just mud tires goes same or better as heavy duty lifted huge tires older land cruiser with lockers go. I saw them perform even better just with traction control only

But its amazing thing locker for older subarus im sure , as project, as new thing , as testing ground itd interesting . but i bought subaru because of price. Otherwise just take prado and go where you want with comfort.

Maybe others here buy cheap old foresters for other means. To put tons money into them. I just like to prove what my car can do as it is.

There's no reason a wheel won't rotate. Worst case scenario is it's caught in a rut between 2 rocks. It will still rotate, it just needs more force to do so. But there are 3 other wheels to help that one climb out of the rut.

If wheels are in deep mud, they will just spin with most of the force going to the wheel with the least resistance. A locker will stop this & make both wheels spin at the same speed. VDC (not traction control - you don't want that offroad) will send torque to the wheel with grip, but takes a while to do so & isn't always the most effective.

Don't compare 4wds to Subarus, they are too different. A 4wd is double the weight with a huge powerful engine. So far more resistance & more torque to overcome that resistance. So despite components being much heavier duty than Subaru components, they break more easily.

I am also running a bigger diff with bigger axles. My only concern is that when the diff was not locking properly, it did put strain on the rear diff and axles as it would suddenly lock when free wheeling. Hopefully this is not a problem in the making.

I have seen some of what NachaLuva is talking about.

Still, comparisons are inevitable, at least when it comes to use.

A Subaru does a lot. With little. Though power ain't no issue for an H6!

Knowing the GX470, there is no way a Prado beats a newish Outback in comfort or speed on dirt. At best, it will match the Outback's comfort. My wife actually thinks the OB is more comfortable.

Similarly, if I have not broken anything, it means the Subaru is exceptionally stout. I am at 70,000 miles now. And there is nothing broken. Need new engine mounts but that's because all Subarus leave something to be desired when it comes to bushings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, and the like parts.

So, for most people and most types of terrain, the argument for the Toyota is weak. Jeep is another story because the Wrangler has a WRX fun factor to it, which is beyond measurements. It just makes you smile. Or you hate it. No middle ground.

If you need more than what a lifted Subaru can offer, you will know it. Basically, it takes consistently rocky terrain, seriously so, and/or consistently brutal mixture of granite and course sand to make a solid argument for a Toyota. Unfortunately, this is precisely where I happen to live coupled with the absence of whether conditions that make daily driving Subaru fun, you know, rain, snow...it rained for a day last week. First time since July....

Well, forgot my main point!

There is no need that Subaru be the cheap alternative and new SUbarus are by no means cheap.

Subarus are just excellent for the vast majority of unpaved uses, not merely the vehicle to get if one cannot afford a Toyota.

Either way, you will need something. A Subaru needs NachaLuva's lift to really shine. A 4Runner needs aftermarket suspension out of the gate to really rock the trails. Both need tires before they leave the dealerships.

The only vehicle that can hit the tough stuff out of the box in the US is the Wrangler Rubicon (and a couple of trucks like the Ford Raptor).

Hopefully once the diffs are sorted my car will sparkle. I might be upgrading to a plated front diff soon.

Kaaz, Cusco ?

You should upgrade for the SVX axles too but will need the male studs.

If I upgrade the front axles I will use STI ones. They are far more readily available. I believe it is a Cusco front diff

but why we no see some cool videos of those foresters with lockers, LSD and stuff. would be interesting to see how they drive .

I have posted some videos before of my cars with front and rear LSD's, as well as the DCCD in action

Back