HotBits coilovers

Front
p32V3j
9bePoX7l.jpg

Rear
S4704J
sUihv4ul.jpg

There must also be a difference in suspension geometry between SG9 and SG5 for 240mm stroke to work because I don't see how its possible in my car to get any more down travel with out lowering the gearbox and there's also not much more room for up travel.

Didn't know there was such a difference between SG5 and SG9 except that the A-arms are not swappable as far as I know, different design, they are probably the reason for less travel. Could you measure the SG9 strut length from lowest bolt to top housing, I have SG5 struts to compare with, thanks !

Last edited:
Centre of lowest bolt to top of thread is 552mm, or to first step is 514mm

SG5 ('03-'05) center of lowest bolt to top of thread is 600mm, or to first step is 562mm. Shaft stroke 185mm. Center of lowest bolt to spring perch 225mm, spring perch 2mm, spring perch to end of housing 150mm.

Would be interesting to know why there is such a difference...

SG5 ('03-'05) center of lowest bolt to top of thread is 600mm, or to first step is 562mm. Shaft stroke 185mm. Center of lowest bolt to spring perch 225mm, spring perch 2mm, spring perch to end of housing 150mm.

Would be interesting to know why there is such a difference...
My series 1 my04 is an sg9

SG5 for the NA models and SG9 for the turbo, is it ? Do the '06-'08 models have another code than the '03-'05 models ?

On Kayaba or Pedders, all SG's have the same struts so I don't understand why RedXS has so little travel on his.

No, my car was an n/a. I think the 9 might refer to 2.5 and the 5 to 2 litre.

Mines SG9. I thought SG9 is NA and SG5 is turbo.

Is it an early vs late SG thing or a turbo vs NA thing?

And the extra travel would mean some large angles on the CVs?

As for telling the models apart, the 10th digit in the VIN is model year, doesn't seem to be an easier way...

Hmmmm!

I don't think that Subaru made different CV axles for the SG "like yours" ! Are your shafts extended at their maximum length ? Because if your struts are worn, you maybe have to pull the shafts out to get maximum length.

140mm is with shafts pulled. Without pulling on shafts is only 130mm.
I guess it must all be in the different A arms, the suspension must follow a different arc down.

KYB advertise 3 different part numbers for front SG shocks. 2L and 2.5 NA both have 123mm stroke and 2.5 turbo has 135mm stroke.

I wonder if European models are different to Australian models?

We have to find out, its strange !

I can't get the information about stroke on KYB Europe but Subforest72 orders KYB and Pedders shocks for his garage so I'll ask him to measure.

The SG shocks (oem) I measured on a previous post come out of a '03 SG 5MT N/A

SG5 for the NA models and SG9 for the turbo, is it ? Do the '06-'08 models have another code than the '03-'05 models ?

EU/JP/Australia
ModelCode:
SG5= 2,0l (NA and TC)
SG9= 2,5l (NA and TC)

US
ModelCode
SG6 = 2,5l (NA and TC)

All codes apply for model year 2003-2008, there is no further Difference for the Facelift build 06-08.

Yes this is correct. The number is the engine size & is used for all models of Subaru with H6 & FA/FB engines & diesel engines using letters.

5 = 2.0L
6 = 2.2L except in the US where it also is 2.5L
9 = 2.5L

Great jump there.

Finally have an answer about KYB SG front struts for the European market. Stroke is 175mm. I wonder why we have more stroke than the Australians.

And the OEM SG struts I have from an '03 XS have 185mm stroke...I don't understand all these differences !

All measures are without bumpstops.

Last edited:
I'm making a check-up of the Foz because I'm going for a 5 day offroad trip, all good but found that the springs have sagged a little, about 15mm front and 10mm rear, nothing too bad because I can change the spring seat heights but I already was at maximum height front before spring block (10cm with the Eibach 16" 125lbs/inch barrel). The rear are ok, still have some margin.

Luckily, I have some 150lbs/inch Eibach 16" barrel type springs from my previous Proflex coilovers, just need to swap them !

Back