Kaan

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
EDM H6 Outback
Transmission
5AT
My mechanic installed 2009 1.5 Impreza Axle's on my 2007 H6 Outback

In theory and practice they work, my original axle's were vibrating even after getting serviced, these new ones don't, and the outer part of the 2009 axle's are more hefty, seems like a better axle

I have 2 worries
1) The Impreza axle could've been 3-4mm's longer, it's impossible to know tho, my original axle's had different lengths, one was likely shrinked, the Impreza axle was roughly the same length as my long axle
2) If they make these axle's with angle's in mind, the impreza is a more flat vehicle, and my Outback has a 5CM SubieliftOZ lift, there's double trouble there

I wonder if anyone has experience with axle intercompatibility

If the axles have the same compressed and extended lengths and the same splines, it should be a simple swap.

If the axles are too long they may bump in the inner CV housing when the suspension is at full extension. Best is to lift the car on a car lift 4 wheels dangling and turn each wheel by hand and if everything seems good run the engine in first gear and turn the steering wheel left and right.

Hmm, ideally, with changes like these, things should be like a controlled experiment, but when you start something major, you usually get everything done at one lift

This lift, the power steering system was serviced, not the motor, but the bottom part, the car was bought second hand, the oil was a dark grime instead of the usual red, after the oil change, the motor started screaming, it still whines a bit, we attributed it to the oil viscosity change

But after your suggestion, I'm thinking, there might be some CV tension in the mix, best to check it again

Ok so there's two issues at play now. The screaming sound happens with the engine running? If so, your PS pump might be worn with that old stuff running through it, or there could've been air that was/is stuck in the pump that's causing the screaming sound. If that all checks out the pump could now be damaged and that's just what it does now. If it's the PS pump you'll hear it get louder as you use the steering wheel especially at idle when stationary and turning the wheel. Doing this is loading up the PS the most it's ever going to work and is good for a test ;)

If the screaming sound is when moving only, then it'll be related to the spinning drive components. I'd be checking the drive shafts and tail shaft as well. And looks at the dust shields on the back of the brake rotors - one gets knocked or a small rock stuck behind them and the noise is not pleasant to say the least!

All the best

Cheers

Bennie

If the Impreza axles are a few mms longer that won't be a problem as now they have further to reach. But they can't be shorter

Thanks for all the help

The Power Steering system adjusted, axles seem compatible

Yet, I started the journey to eliminate the steering wobble, for some reason it returned, I think it's the offroad tires

Thanks for the suggestions, I think the wobble was Axle + Wheel Balance + Hub Unit, after the first 2 was eliminated, the Hub Unit was easy to notice, I wonder whether the previous axles were actually decent, but I do love the new hefty Impreza axles, with the lift, the front axles were being stressed at every point anyway, this new axle looked good the last time I looked

The Hub Unit's part where it goes in the wheel wasn't holding the wheel snugly, while the other 3 wheels didn't wobble without lug nuts inserted, this front left hub unit was causing a wobble, so ordered a new one, I think the previous one when I bought the car could've been an aftermarket one, or the car had an impact from the front left wheel, or probably both (the suspension is also slightly closer to the chasis, like 1mm, normally not even noticable, but noticable with the offste lift spacer : )

Thanks for the suggestions again

Back