BlakejMarshall

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Manual
G'day guys

So I got an 01 Outback 5 speed 2.5ltr and I've got a feeling the clutch isn't too far from buggered, it hasn't slipped or anything yet, but the pick up is a bit high in the pedal and I've a feeling she's been driven a bit hard in her previous life, so I'm looking to replace it before it fails, anyone ever fitted a lightened flywheel and heavy duty clutch to one?? I've heard the flywheel bolts almost always snap off and they are a +50 torx head or something silly like that, any advice or tips would be very much appreciated, I'm really only planning sand driving for the big bus too

Thanks

I've done a few clutches in my day. I've never had a flywheel bolt snap but it's possible. Just spray them with penetrant and let them sit for a bit and be careful with the length of the tool you use to break then free.

Down side to lightened flywheel in any application is warping or cracking depending on the material but the biggest drawback is a rapid drop in engine rpm when shifting. You almost have to side step the clutch to keeping the engine spinning for momentum. Could get you stuck in the sand.

Just my .02

First thing is to check if you have the dreaded dual-mass flywheel.

That's the one with the troublesome Torx+ (note: not just Torx) which are known for being buggers to remove.

Do a dual to single conversion (exedy sells a kit, IIRC) if you have the dual-mass.

Yea I'm pretty sure the EJ25 in mine would have the duel mass flywheel, but it's good to know that I can get a single mass conversion
After reading the above advice and having a quick brain storm with myself I reckon your right on the lightened flywheel making it harder in the sand, I'm yet to drive it on sand but I've driven enough Cruisers on the beach to know how good a flat torque curve is on the beach, stock weight it is

Back