Locker

[MENTION=15721]scalman[/MENTION] - lockers don't rob the engine of power, they only improve the possible traction ability given tyre and surface condition.

With lockers you can still spin wheels and lose traction - if traction is lost on BOTH wheels connected to the locker. The locker won't change the general characteristics of how your engine performs nor will it glue the wheels to the surface you're traversing. It might make your engine work harder because you're able to climb steeper terrain with more traction possibly with lower speeds and revs, reducing the risk of going off course or damage to the vehicle from being bounced around. It certainly isn't a bad thing! More power isn't always the answer either, gearing needs to be addressed.

I'll leave off here, but just before I do I'll say that a locker in the rear will eliminate that diagonal wheel spin we all experiment with open front and rear diffs.

Cheers

Bennie

It seems this thread been dead for a while.

A year later and torque master is announcing the r160 lunchbox locker. Any suggestion or anyone been tested?

Will be interested to hear how they go if they actually come to fruition. I don't need as I have the selectable locker but I will be intrigued how the go for on road handling with the AWD system.

I have been warned by few claimed to be seasonal offroader about the lunchbox locker in the rear with icy or wet. However it seems to be a popular locker option with few varieties of name: dana locker, aussie, lunchbox, etc...

The lunchbox locker is a different chapter for the off-road Subaru community. These guys already have the prototype.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_JoHiRw9s"]Subaru R160 TORQ Locker Unboxing - YouTube[/ame]

its still taking so long to make anything for us ... russians have made couple versions too but they not very popular still not many buys them and to go to russia is kinda tricky even for us

The TorqMasters lunchbox locker is going to be a real game changer!!
Mine is on the way as we speak for testing, I already have a couple of good tracks lined up with big ruts for a real world test

I'm the Australasian distributor for the Torq Locker. After the testing phase is complete it will be released for sale. The final price hasn't been determined yet but I'm hoping we can get it for around $600-700 AUD

Would love to hear how it work on newer subie with all the crazy electrical stuff (ABS, ATV, etc..)

Russians making ones for about 250 euros or so. Not 100% lockers but they even work some on diagonals.

[MENTION=15721]scalman[/MENTION] those aren't lockers, the Russian ones you've posted before are LSDs (Limited Slip Differential)
LSD diffs certainly help but are a long way from a locker

So, I pushed the box into my intercooler intake but no extra 300hp and no locking.....:rotfl:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

In all seriousness, what diff came standard on manual SF5 turbo models? (i.e. 2000-2002 GT and Turbo-S) I still don't know whether I have an R160 or R180.

Secondly, does anyone know what diff came on a SH S-Edition?

All Subarus except some WRX STis are R160

There seems to be 2 or maybe 3 types, atm a locker has been made for a 5 bolt (most Subies) & a 1 bolt (late model). Old school Subies seem to be 1 bolt but possibly will need a different locker
The 5 bolt diff has 5 bolts on the bearing retainer securing the bearing & seal
The 1 bolt diff has a screw in bearing retainer similar to the gearbox, with 1 bolt locking it in place

SF-SH are 5 bolt
Not sure about 5eat models like the S Edition & H6 Outbacks

Old school Subies seem to be 1 bolt but possibly will need a different locker
The 5 bolt diff has 5 bolts on the bearing retainer securing the bearing & seal
The 1 bolt diff has a screw in bearing retainer similar to the gearbox, with 1 bolt locking it in place

MY and L series are five bolt :thumbsup: so that crew are covered :discomonkey:

Cheers

Bennie

[MENTION=15721]scalman[/MENTION] those aren't lockers, the Russian ones you've posted before are LSDs (Limited Slip Differential)
LSD diffs certainly help but are a long way from a locker

well they much better then subaru LSD's for sure , and yes they not 100% but in not diagonal they lock fully both rear wheels like in mud sand snow etc. just in diagonal they not lock all times.
and lockers not make you off roader all of sudden.

Back