• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

UHF radio - unit and antenna mounting locations

The simplest method is to take the antenna cable through the firewall and then using a Z bracket attach to the fender. Or... I found a way on my MY'03 to attach an antenna onto the bonnet hinge bracket - not sure it would work on a 2010 though.

I think you might be right. No holes in panels, no dust entry points. Easily removed with no trace for resale. Even the ability to have a range of different antennas to suit the occasion.

Hard for me to say where to mount it in a 2018, what about in the centre dash under the A/C controls? I had mine mounted in the ash tray space.

I know this thread is a few years old, but I am in the same spot thinking about one and where to put it. I did think about putting it in the ash tray space but unsure how it would fit. You wouldn't happen to have any photos of that set up in your 03 Forester @Kevin? be interested to see how it would be done. My alternative thinking is to put it in one of the storage "pockets"in the sun roof control panel area... not too keen on the mic cable coming down from it though

Definitely agree, not the best place to put it. Perhaps one of those compact units that have all the controls on the hand piece would be a tidier/nicer option to the traditional style with the controls on the transceiver unit

Perhaps one of those compact units that have all the controls on the hand piece would be a tidier/nicer option to the traditional style with the controls on the transceiver unit

Having just purchased one, I decided against having the controls on the hand piece as I think that's the bit most likely needing to be replaced down the track due to (unintended) abuse. My friend mentioned yesterday that the hand piece will need replacing first, so that kind of confirmed it for me that I made the right decision.

When I used UHF in the past in the outback on stations, I never really looked at the transceiver (certainly not when in motion), but it would be good to have it nice and visible.

Very good point about the handset Ben and I believe I had similar thoughts when purchasing the 3100 having had to replace mics before.

In the "olden days" there was very little you could do with an in-vehicle CB other than change channel, volume and squelch so they really didn't need to visible.

change channel, volume and squelch
That's all I really plan on doing, what else can/do you do with these newfangled ones?!

@Ben Up North RTFM mate :LOL:

I often use scanning and/or group scanning when traveling

• Some stuff:
  • Dynamic Volume Control: Automatically compensates for variations in received audio level, this feature provides a constant audio output level greatly enhancing the quality of the reception and simplicity of use.
  • Adjustable squelch
  • Programmable scan function
  • CTCSS and DCS
  • Selectable duplex channels

@Ben Up North RTFM mate :LOL:[/Quote}

That's a last resort surely 👅
I often use scanning and/or group scanning when traveling
Yeah, that's easy enough to toggle on this unit
  • Some stuff:
  • Dynamic Volume Control: Automatically compensates for variations in received audio level, this feature provides a constant audio output level greatly enhancing the quality of the reception and simplicity of use.
That would be set and forget wouldn't it?
  • Adjustable squelch
Never really understood the whole squelch thing.
  • Programmable scan function
  • CTCSS and DCS
  • Selectable duplex channels
is that the sort of thing you would do regularly while in motion?

My son's very brief response was "heaps better to have controls in your hand"
Absolutely. how much more to replace though?

a common place to put the transceiver if you have nowhere to put in the dash is just on the centre dash wall of the driver or passenger side foot well. and then as previously mentioned if you dont have a bar just bolt in somewhere along the passenger side guard preferably and boom.

P.S. Dont jump on channel 40 and start talking bulk poop and rubbish like most of these tradies on the freeways. It just clogs up the channel and even though im not a truck driver i can feel their pain. Use the channel for relevant and intelligent conversations and traffic updates.

Back