• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

OBD/OBDII Questions

Yeah, just annoying that it works on the other cars. it was only $6.95 or something.

If it's the same as the cheap ar5e one I bought it probably won't work on your subaru at all. Mine doesn't, or on Fords. does on a hyundai & a yaris though. :(

If it's the same as the cheap ar5e one I bought it probably won't work on your subaru at all. Mine doesn't, or on Fords. does on a hyundai & a yaris though. :(

Darn! Looks like I've wasted $6.80 - might work on my daughter's ASX

I just checked and it claims to be suitable for all OBD2 compatible vehicles. I also checked and found that Foresters before 2004 are not OBD2 compliant. As your Forester is plated 2004 it is possible it was manufactured before they became OBD2 compliant.

I have one from jay car electronics. But its not compatible with apps that read the split. It works fine with the torque app. But does not work with the active odb app. I believe you need the odblink lx device. Not sure if there are any other apps that read this split information.

Last edited:
I've done a bit of reading on the ELM OBDII dongles. A lot of these clones don't have all the neccessary pins connected for all models.
They are also using old protocols.
Avoid any that say they are ELM327 1.5 because there never was a V1.5 from ELM. [MENTION=15642]Beachworm[/MENTION] the link you bought yours from looks dodgy too, advertises as being wifi, but there are pictures prominently stating Bluetooth..
Please keep us updated, because if it works I'll get one from that page too. :)

Edit: oh! There's a drop down, didn't notice that. Oops!

I went ahead and bought a cheap OBD2 key for a little over $10.00. I plugged it into the port, downloaded a free app for my I phone and an old I pad that wasn't being used and couldn't be happier with the result. The unit connects wirelessly to the phone or i pad. There is a more advanced app available f you want to part with a few more dollars.

It allows me to set up additional analogue instruments from a wide range of data. I now have 6 extra gauges without doubling up on any of the ones in the original dash. The most important to me is engine coolant temp.

I can also do acceleration tests from 0-60 and 0-100 (Kph) and have a line graph produced to make comparisons.

I also bought another unit of the same brand that connects with android phones by Bluetooth as a gift for my daughter. No feedback on that one yet but I am entirely happy with my purchase.

I have the Vgate iCar 2 OBD2. I had a few problems getting the Active OBD app to pair with the wifi of the iCar2 device. It keep disconnecting every few seconds. The work around was to turn off my phone "Mobile Data" when using the app.

Hope this help someone in the future.

Back