OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > General Forum

Notices

Old 23rd July 2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

mr turbo is on a distinguished road

You mean to say that it gets worse ??? I can't help but to feel so so sorry for them.

Regards
Mr Turbo
Old 25th July 2008, 10:30 PM

PaulK is on a distinguished road

Reading that makes me feel for them. The whole experience, even WITHOUT being on a honeymoon, was the trip from hell. How long ago was this?

I know Port Pirie (I lived at crappy Brook for a while nearby) and I really feel for them being stuck in such a hole. Personally, if I had known, I would have been only too happy to go and get them (3 hours drive from here but so what) and get their car back to Adelaide to a proper Subie dealer (Eblens) and they could have stayed here no problems.

My sentiment is if someone from this forum or even a friend is in trouble I would do whatever I could to lend a hand.

Is there a follow up to this story? Where are they now? financially? vehicle wise?

Poor buggers.
Old 27th July 2008, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

I know - I felt really sorry for them too....that's why I had to share it with y'all.

They are currently hoping the Outback holds together enough (with blown head-gasket) to trade it in on a Nissan Pathfinder or something else that feels tough for towing their camper offroad.

I even thought a Forester would be that little bit more suitable for towing, but I don't think I can convince them to stay with Subies.....which is pretty sad I reckon :-(
Old 12th September 2008, 12:24 AM

Losiho is on a distinguished road

May I ask what year your friend's Outback is ?

In the 6 years I've owned my 1999 Outback, the worse that has happened is (a) replacing a split front CVD (normal wear and tear), (b) two new rear shocks (normal wear and tear), (c) replace a pair of leaking windscreen washer pumps and (d) rectify water entry in the rear tailgate garnish.

As for the Melbourne Subaru Dealers.....it doesn't surprise me at all, based on the poor customer service I've had with them on more than one ocassion. I wouldn't service a wheelbarrow with them. Thank god for Makin & Luby.......
Old 12th September 2008, 04:32 AM

charlie is on a distinguished road

Interesting to know which year of outback is? And in what condition, they have bought it?
Old 16th October 2008, 02:10 AM
Contributing Member

It all happened to them in December-January this year (2008)

It is a 2000 Limited MY01 - 2.5 Litre.

Everyone told them they were meant to last forever....hmph!
Old 16th October 2008, 04:52 AM
bush bash'n ranga

eden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaksta View Post
It all happened to them in December-January this year (2008)

It is a 2000 Limited MY01 - 2.5 Litre.

Everyone told them they were meant to last forever....hmph!
what happens with outbacks alot is when they're written off they dont get get wrecked but cut in half and put back together with another written off outback. its because of their high resale value. i found this out when i was ringing around trying to find spare parts and wondered why no one had them.

2000 outback, subX bullbar + sumpguard,50mm raised strut blocks,30mm raised springs,215/65/16 rubber,uhf, dual battery system,150W spots,touchscreen navigation with oziexplorer. more to come
Old 17th October 2008, 01:04 AM

El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

The 2.5 litre outbacks have been known for faulty head gaskets from factory. I'm surprised no one picked this up as its a common subi problem if the engine keeps overheating for no apparent reason.
Its such a shame that their honeymoon was ruined by a make of vehicle that comes with a piece of mind when you buy the brand.
I guess it really pays off if you know your vehicle well.
I hope they have better luck with their next unit, shame its not going to be a different model of subaru...

Cheers

Bennie
Old 17th October 2008, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
The 2.5 litre outbacks have been known for faulty head gaskets from factory. I'm surprised no one picked this up as its a common subi problem if the engine keeps overheating for no apparent reason.
Its such a shame that their honeymoon was ruined by a make of vehicle that comes with a piece of mind when you buy the brand.
I guess it really pays off if you know your vehicle well.
I hope they have better luck with their next unit, shame its not going to be a different model of subaru...

Cheers

Bennie
Which makes me wonder why Subaru don't have thousands of head gaskets ready to go on standby - with all their service people up to speed on the swapout. If (due to labour hours) the cost is a bit high then Subaru should really be subsidising it since it is a design fault.
Old 20th October 2008, 01:10 AM

jonbob is on a distinguished road

Just had the head gaskets re-done on my 03 Forester after 125k. Apparently the leaking issue is apparent in the EJ25 built from 1998 - late 2002. I suspect my donk was one of the last to come out with the problem.

Some Subaru dealers were purportedly using "radiator conditioner" (barsleak?) from first service, but I am not sure widespread the practice is. Good news is that the current gaskets seem to be OK (no problems reported from 2003 on). First indication is either a oil or coolant drip from bottom left side of engine.