yoko's for the xt

Eastie

Forum Member
Big g'day to everyone,
I'm about to replace the geolander AT+11's and want to go back to standard size as it now spends 99.99% of it's time in suburbia on the blacktop. What are people using now the AT+11's are gone?
I've heard ok things about the yoko C-drives, are there any others worth a look?

Cheers,
Eastie :)

I have Yokohama C-Drive's on my wifes Forester.

They have done about 10k now and have plenty of tread remaining. They are showing no signs of uneven wear or feathering either.

I have been very impressed with their road holding capabilities also.

From memory, I paid $180 per tyre.

my road tyres are cooper lifeliners ste. awsome tyre but a bit expensive. i think there about $230 each:eek: not a big fan of yoko's anymore after the at+11's:(

my road tyres are cooper lifeliners ste. awsome tyre but a bit expensive. i think there about $230 each:eek: not a big fan of yoko's anymore after the at+11's:(

I'll second that on the AT+11's...maybe they were a bad batch?
Plenty happy with the Grabber AT2's.. but then again they're not a road tyre.

I've got a complete set of road tyres on other rims but they just never seem to make it back onto subie :D

I am in love with my Goodyears, I use the Assurance Tripletreds on all 3 scooby's we have. Great all seasons and decent wear. I've also gone off-road with them from time to time with out a problem.

thanks for the feedback - I'll have a bit more of a look before deciding.

I got good use out of the AT+11's, 60,000km and they still have a few thousand left in them. Heaps of off-road, gravel and highway with no signs of chipping and no punctures! Must be the luck of the draw.

Bridgestone G3's. I had to replace one a couple of months ago after an altercation with the gutter. Now $200. No squealing,fantastic dry or wet,maybe a touch noisey but i love em.

I recommend the Bridgestone Adrenaline - a good on-road performance tyre and reasonably priced. Only down side is the wear rate; I only got about 35k km from the Yoko G900's and I doubt I will get that from these. But they are so much better than the G900's.

I only got about 35k km from the Yoko G900's and I doubt I will get that from these. But they are so much better than the G900's.

I had to replace my Yoko G900's after only 18k. And I would have to say that anything would be better than the crapy Geo'squealers' that came with the Forry.
I currently have the AT+II's on & have done about 35k with them & would have about 15-20k left on them. I have had the odd punchure or 2, but it's the side walls that are soft.
I will probably try the Grabber AT2's when I need to replace mine.

Regards
Mr Turbo

we've all seen the way you drive Mr Turbo;):D
What ever do you mean eden :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You may have to re-phrase that after you look at the following video of me in the Forry that's on youtube :D:eek::D:eek:

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2vL8nMjaGWw"]Subaru Forester XT flood crossing - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbpJL0yfm4"]Subaru Forester goes snorkeling! - YouTube[/ame]

Regards
Mr Turbo

Replaced the original yokos at about 24,000km - they were stuffed. currently near 90,000km and the at+11 are near due for replacement.

Something I found recenlty that I've not seen or heard any of the tyre places refer to before is the UTQG ratings stamped on the sidewall of nearly all tyres (treadwear/traction/temperature).

Looks like it could be ok comparing within a brand, but there's a lot of room for marketing hype.

(https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48)

I've knocked up about 5k on a set of Cooper ATR's 215/70/16 and am pretty impressed thus far.

Slightly more road noise, but the rumble from my exhaust counter acts this :eek:

They are a very neat fit in the wheel arches. Have had to do minor cosmetic surgery to the rear, but nothing much.

Will post some pics soon.

Yoko's

Last w/end in the Beerburrum state forest, my new Geolander GO12 performed brilliantly in the Mud and gravel. They are quiet around town and perform great.

Read https://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tips_tyres.php
to find out about AT tyres.

I would have gone for the Scorpions maybe but they are way over the top in price and they don't come in Forester size anyway. Don't judge the Geo's by the OEM line, they do a deal with the importer for the cheapest price so don't expect too much of them.

The GO12's have a very highly rated side wall (9.5) for puncture resistance so they will hopefully last the distance offroad, which is, after all, what it's all about.

Highly recommended.

No good looking at Bridgestone G3's. They are being deleted. Bit of a bugger as i need to replace one tyre only as it has been wearing on the outside due to some sort of wheel alignment problem. Looks like i will have to get 2 new ones of some sort and keep the new G3 i got as a spare.
I think i'll stick to a performance road tyre and go for a 'quiet' one,maybe the bridgestone Adrenilans.

I have some Bridgestone Turanza's on at the moment. I'm quite happy with them but can't comment on mileage yet. Ultimately I'll be working towards Michelin Energy XM1+.

The Turanza's cost $175, the Michelin $150.

I have just had the Michelin Energy XM1's fitted....I'm really happy with them. Amazing grip in the wet or dry. Solid construction - very little sidewall distortion on cornering. They seemed very happy during a wet weekend up in Barrington Tops recently with good performance on muddy tracks. They are easily the quietest tyres I've ever had on the Foz. Prior to these I had Goodyear Eagle NCT5s which were like wooden wagon wheels! Now the car is like a Merc!

I've settled for Bridgestone 592's. I've also gone for a quieter tyre, according to the website info anyway. Not getting them fitted until next week as i'm trying to squeeze every k out of the G3's before i leave.
I probably won't be able to get a good idea of what they are like as i am only replacing the front 2 at this stage but i should be able to get a 'noise' feel.

Just realized that the front tires on my Fozza are quite worn at 37,000 miles. So a new set of wheels is in store for me as well.

I am most likely going to pick the Geolandar AT-S, which is the only off-road tire available in stock size here in the US. Just need to decide whether to buy from TireRack or my Subaru dealer, and whether to have them installed at the dealer or at another provider. I need an alignment too, so I'm inclined to trust the dealer, who should know Subies better than the tire chain stores.

Well, after putting it off again and again... it's finally time to change the tyres. We've now done 70,000kms on the AT+11's, never rotated, never rebalanced :lildevil:).

I've chosen to go with C-Drives, but I'm wondering if 225/60 R16 will be ok for the stock 05Xt R16 rims?

I'm guessing they will given it's only 10mm wider. I'm currently running 215/65 R16 so I know diameter isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Back