OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

OFFROADSUBARUS.COM (https://offroadsubarus.com/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (https://offroadsubarus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   HELP! What have I done? (https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=7287)

Rambler 13th July 2017 03:43 AM

HELP! What have I done?

Firstly my car is an '06 SG Forester with a 5MT.
Today I decided to change the transmission oil, engine oil and do an upper engine clean as my car is approaching 200,000kms.

I did the transmission oil first - T70 torx, let all the old oil drain, cleaned the drain plug, fitted a new washer and torqued to 44nm, before refilling with 80W-90 Castrol fully synthetic gear oil. Filled to roughly 3.5L on the bottle, checked dipstick and added a little more - I'd say all up maybe 3.75L went in. Got in the car and the gears felt smooth.

Anyway I went on to do the upper engine clean - About 15 minutes in BAM the car stalls horribly at around 3,000 revs. Trying to re start it just makes the car lurch forward - it's still in neutral.

If I hold the clutch in I can start it, but if I put it in first and come off the clutch slowly I can see the revs dip but the car does not want to move forward. My thought is that I have overfilled my transmission, I'm waiting for it to cool now so that I can try to remove about 250ml.

Have I broken my transmission?

Rambler 13th July 2017 03:45 AM

Gear stick will also not go into any gear except first and reverse and there is no neutral, the car acts as if it is in first. Dip stick just says oil level is perfect on H but I wonder if it doesn't register overfilled, only underfilled.

Why would they make it fail so dramatically just from a bit too much oil? I can't find anyone else on the net that this has happened to? :cry:

Ratbag 13th July 2017 04:22 AM

Sounds very weird to me ...

I suspect that your gearbox oil change and the breakdown are only coincidentally related.

duncanm 13th July 2017 04:44 AM

definitely weird. How did it lock up while idling/doing your UEC out of gear?

No - its not the oil. Too full or empty won't do this.

yes - sounds like the gearbox has jammed up - maybe you dislodged a floating chunk of something that was nestled in the bottom of the box. Do you know the entire history of this gearbox from new?

Going on the assumption that what you did is somehow related to the failure -- have you checked the dipstick again? Did it somehow drop into the 'box?

Drain the box again and see if anything hard and shiny comes out.

Rambler 13th July 2017 05:00 AM

Maybe fresh oil has caused it to do whatever it was wanting to do.

It was feeling a little bit stiff and occasionally difficult to get into second on some cold mornings, it didn't feel particularly unhealthy however (no noises) and there wasn't much more than a decent film of metal sludge on the plug magnet. Oil was old.

I just drained about 300mls of oil, dip stick is now measuring in between H and L on the low side, so I was probably about right with 250mls. Still nothing, now wont go into any gears.

Gee this is pretty bad if I can't get it going. With 200,000ks and a leaking steering rack, plus on the original clutch, I'm thinking I'd be up for more than it's worth in repairs.

Rambler 13th July 2017 05:02 AM

It locked up while I was revving to burn off the last of the UEC, I was standing outside of the car with my foot on the accelerator so nowhere near the gearstick or clutch, car was in neutral and then it was like the clutch dropped, it died very quickly with a bit of a noise. I thought I must have hydrolocked the engine at first, but it started fine with clutch in.

Rambler 13th July 2017 05:05 AM

As for history of gear box/car - Clutch has never been done, rear diff oil was done at 140k but probably not transmission. So could be original oil.

I'll drain it again and see what happens.

Rambler 13th July 2017 07:28 AM

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...advice-531865/

I've found another thread detailing a nearly identical thing happening to the same 06-08 model Forester, revved high in neutral when it suddenly suddenly stalls without lurching. Replies there are confused as well but it does seem that my transmission has grenaded itself. Calling a mechanic for a qualified opinion tomorrow. What a bummer.

Ratbag 13th July 2017 07:36 AM

Bugger!!!

duncanm 13th July 2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambler (Post 97066)
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...advice-531865/

I've found another thread detailing a nearly identical thing happening to the same 06-08 model Forester, revved high in neutral when it suddenly suddenly stalls without lurching. Replies there are confused as well but it does seem that my transmission has grenaded itself. Calling a mechanic for a qualified opinion tomorrow. What a bummer.

wow - bizarre. I'm with the 'WAG' guy - it sounds like some failure on the clutch assembly which has caused it to jam - failure of the clutch plate or loose bolts maybe.

If the clutch suddenly failed - I wouldn't be surprised if that killed the input shaft primary gearset (or whatever its called) which maybe explains his bits of metal in the trans.. maybe that secondary failure didn't happen to you if you're lucky (though not being able to get into gear isn't a good sign).

Is there still a flywheel inspection port on your model? Big rubber bung at the bottom of the bell housing, or maybe no bung? Try pulling that out and see if any bits fall out, or inspect your garage floor..